Which synthetic resin is better to coat roof tile? The engineers and roofers talk about it frequently but there’s no conclusion. My opinion is Geloy ASA resin is superior to PMMA when it comes to severe weather resistance. The roof tile with Geloy resin performs better than PMMA due to the following statistics and technical support.
During the test, Geloy ASA beat PMMA in tensile strength, tensile modulus, izod impact strength and flexural modules.
Light Blocking Capacity
From the processing point of view:
1. The viscosity of PMMA is 10 times higher than that of ASA at same temperature. The melt temperature of PMMA is much higher than that of ASA or PVC in processing, so the process facilities are required to give higher extrusion pressure and bear higher load for PMMA.
2. The flow of PMMA and PVC is quite different, which make it difficult to match these two melts and therefore make the interface unstable
3. The viscosity of PMMA melt is more sensitive to temperature than that of most thermoplastic resins, except PVC. So in order to get high quality products, the processing temperature must be strictly controlled, which increases the requirement of temperature control device.
1. Geloy has better impact than PMMA in a wide range of temperature.
2. Geloy has better heat resistance and cold resistance than PMMA.
3. Geloy has better light blocking performance than PMMA in UV range.
4.Geloy has comparable flow to PVC, so the melts can be easily matched in die, the processing is easier, and the interface is more stable than those of PMMA.
5. Because of difficult processing of PMMA, the requirements of heating power, motor power, screw load, and bearing load are all increased. Because of thermo sensitivity of PMMA, the requirement of thermo control system is also increased. But there is no special requirement in Geloy case.
6. PMMA is easier to crack during processing, transportation and usage than Geloy.
7. The total cost of PMMA is higher than that of Geloy.
Thanks for reading the analysis of Geloy ASA Resin vs PMMA, I’m looking forward to your review. Any comments are welcomed!